Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo Falls Short in Boston

Theresa Caputo liveI was very excited when my friend offered to take me to see the Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo live in Boston on April 12. My life has been surrounded with mystics, mediums, psychics and all things paranormal from my earliest memories. I am also a Lawng Islander myself. I was born in Smithtown, New York and lived there until my teen years. Even my daughter was thrilled for me because she said I remind her a bit of Theresa. I am always doing random healings, readings and mediumship for people and sometimes my accent comes through. So I was thrilled and expected  at minimum to be uplifted and entertained. I must admit that I am not a regular fan of the show but I have seen it a few times and was prepared for her funny and snarky personality. Theresa didn’t disappoint in charisma. She is a spitfire, is in great shape and looks great on stage. I loved her dress and her sparkly shoes were to die for, no pun intended. Well maybe a little bit. I was impressed with how Theresa was able to maneuver throughout the audience on shoes that would have crippled me, but since I am also vertically challenged I fully understood.

Theresa is very accurate. There is no doubt in my mind, as a mystic-medium myself, that she was connecting with Spirit and was bringing healing and joy to many of her audience members. There were several members of the audience who had lost children, and she was able to give them complete validation and evidence that they were indeed receiving messages from their loved ones. I was uplifted and entertained as I had hoped.

Then things turned a little dark as least for my taste and that of my friend. In fact my friend was quite unnerved by what appeared to be mob mentality and blind support for someone who is a messenger but is still very human. At one point in the evening, Theresa read for one woman and picked up a message for the woman sitting next to her. The woman was quite reluctant and resistant. Theresa had made it a point in her introductory speech that she didn’t care whether or not anyone believed in her gift because she believes in it and would simply transmit the messages as she received them. This would have been a great way to handle the evening but this is not what she did.

Therese angry

This is not precisely a photo from this event but it does capture the energy that transpired. When Theresa said in paraphrase that she had connected to the young woman’s father and that he felt that there was a part of her soul that had been closed down because of him, I believe that Theresa was sincere in trying to help the woman. But the woman was negative and responded that she didn’t care what her father said, that it was his fault and that it would take several lifetimes for him to ever make it up to her.

As a spiritual teacher and practitioner who has been at this for over 25 years I think this would have been my cue to say something to the effect “well I am not the final authority, if you do not resonate with this think about it for a while and you are welcome to contact me. I am only the messenger.” But nooooooooooooo. Theresa kept going back to her to try to redeliver the message as if the woman would somehow be able to embrace it. The woman became more resistant and basically asked in front of the the 3,000 people in the audience to be left alone.

I am a firm believer in tolerance in that not everyone is able to receive information and process it at the same pace as others. People with spiritual gifts who portend to talk on behalf of loved ones or of the Angels  or of the Divine Spirit need to know that there are cosmic rules. It appeared that Theresa did not want to be wrong or she felt so strongly about the message that she seemed to almost forget about the other 2,999 people witnessing this. She overheard the woman say this is “bullsh-t” and all hell broke loose. By this time Theresa had lost her temper and requested that security physically escort the woman out of the Wang theater for disagreeing and I suppose disrespecting her. After all it is her show.

The crowd seemed to be in full support of Theresa and at the time I must say I was caught up in the drama. But this was not television. This was a real woman who was being humiliated and bullied in front of a theater full of 2,999 people by someone who is supposed to be talking about Spirit and heaven. This was a sacred space of healing, or should have been. Theresa Caputo did not think about what this woman might really have needed or if she was truly disturbed. Who knows if this woman might have had so much trauma that she could have harmed herself. There is a sacred trust and responsibility given to those who do this kind of work. It is not entertainment. It is almost religion.

People are obviously hungry for this type of information and healing. They want a physical manifestation of God in some way and they want hope. This was a room full of suffering people who wanted a glimmer of something to help ease their pain. This was not just the Theresa Caputo show where anything goes. At least not for me. There are spiritual rules for those people who take on the mantle of helping those in need. To be a true spiritual messenger and healer you have to learn to move beyond your EGO. I know that if you don’t, God will find a way to remind you that you are merely a messenger and not the message. I hope that Theresa Caputo realizes the great responsibility she has when people look to her for help. I know that she helps so many people, but as her own star continues to rise she will continually be held to a higher standard and must never allow her personal need for validation cloud her judgment. In the future she should just let it go and understand that for the one person who was unable or not ready to hear the message, there were 2,999 others who were there to enjoy her, support her and to appreciate her willingness to step into the spotlight.

Theresa in shoes

Comments

1. michelle e parvana says:

Why was the woman there in the first place? She knew there could be a chance that Theresa might read her.

• I felt that way too until I really gave it some thought. There are times when a medium can push too hard at a person. Just like a psychologist would not take a person too fast into their trauma, her knowledge might have been an accurate message but the woman was too traumatized to hear it. People don’t always understand how real this is or how deep the messages can be. There can be great consequences to pushing someone too fast. My point is that she should have been more cautious and less confrontational. I know it is her personality, but this was over the top. It can be dangerous. thank you so much for the comment.

• Barbara says:

Why is it when someone gets a TV show, their ego gets in the way of good judgement. Just like Edwards, he is so unreachable, but he is not as good as Theresa, I really like Theresa and her show, it makes me feel like my love ones are close. But you know, you don’t need anyone to tell you they are watching over you. Their there, I know. My father died five years ago, I was staying at his house and sleeping in the room he watched TV all the timel I was laying in bed and all of a sudden I felt fingers touching my fingers and I thought did I just feel that? Then the fingers again touched me and I knew it was my father. I told my sister-in-law who lives in the house now and takes care of my mother, she said that every morning, my father would come into their room and touched her toes. That gave me proof that he is still there, he always said he would not leave my mother and he hasen’t. He was the greatest!! Take care and maybe Theresa will read these and know she has to come down out of the clouds. She’s loved by many people because of what she does. Put money last, you can’t take it with you. God Bless Everyone!!!

• My husband and I would like to go see her show in june. How can I get a chance to meet with her?

• Dezniya says:

Deborah you should really think again, because it’s common sense that if you go to one of Theresa’s readings that she is most likely going to speak to you. Maybe the lady shouldn’t have went that night.

• My thoughts exactly!!!!! Why go there if she didn’t want Theresa to do a validation for her?

• Linda Shields says:

Pride and ego are indeed dangerous things and when these are put in front of common courtesy and understanding there will always be anger and confrontation from the person with too much pride and ego. Sounds like the case with Theresa and it’s sad that someone with these gifts will let pride and ego get in the way of help and understanding.

• Heather says:

I am a medium as well… there is no coincidence in occurance in the universe and everyone plays their part. It was a lesson for all of the participants on the way each and every one of them behaved in that moment. We are consistently recreating scenarios in our lives, and this participant was obviously in the recreation of drama and not good enough, so much so that she pulled Theresa and the entire audience into that energy. If theresa was more grounded in the moment (the heels don’t help with that as I am sure you know,) then she would have been able to say I understand you are not open to receive this message, but this is what I hear and I will leave you with that. Its amazing what a strong grounding will do.

• i do believe that ms caputo connects with spirit & makes no effort to conceal or modify her personality in the process. her personal energy & need to help people may have contributed to her revisiting this woman’s issues. i do agree with you that this woman probably should not have been there if she was unwilling to be open enough to at least LISTEN! if she had…perhaps it would have improved her life while on this earth.

• ladylolo616 says:

I agree, she should’ve stay her behind home!!!

• What an ungreatful person. Do you know how many people would have done anything to get a reading. SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN THERE. She deserved to be kicked out. It sounds like the girls father was the persitant one that is why Theresa kept on going back…. Theresa is a blessing to us all.

• Frank Summitt says:

One does need to ask why that woman would be there in the audience in the first place. To say this is bullshit was showing disrespect. Nobody, even Theresa Caputo should tolerate that kind of beahvior. Glad that woman was escorted out. She probably was a drunk.

• While I understand your point of view in regards to how Theresa handled this is, it should also be said that no one is perfect and regardless of what position you hold in life, you and everyone else will make mistakes, many mistakes. The lady who did not want to receive the message seemed to over react as well and therefore this becomes a “it takes two to tango” situation. She didn’t handle it well and based on your description, neither did Theresa.

I will say this though, I know individuals (family members) that will regularly turn a normal comment or discussion into a huge argument or explosive situation. I know that this is typical and therefore I have developed ways to deal with them. In Theresa’s defense, it is possible that she has not come across many people that react like this and therefore hasn’t developed the ability to deal with them in a more positive manner.

This is all my opinion of course, but so many people are willing to jump to conclusions and tear people down based on one incident. We are all human and we all deserve the opportunity to redeem ourselves when we screw up. Otherwise, what is the point of life? If we persecute people for every little misstep, we are no better than the person who made the mistake.

Now I will say that if she had a tendency to be over bearing and over react to every person that she read for and was negative all the time, then I would say she needs to no longer practice being a medium. But lets not put someone on a pedestal and then make a huge deal out of them not being perfect, because none of us are.

• I too agree that if you do not wish to be read than you should consider not being present at this type of event. Theresa is also entitled to fully be herself at her event and anyone who has a problem with that should not attend the event. So many people try to make it about themselves and in reality it just isn’t always about you, this woman took valuable time away from others who would have welcomed a message from a loved one.

• You need to know that she might have been there for someone else. Theresa should know that if someone says no that means no. If I met her on the street and she tried to read me, I would tell her to go away.

• Theresa is the real thing. She brings spirits into my home when I watch her show on tv. My cousin is also a medium/psychic, and she hears what the spirits have to say before Theresa speaks. My take on the woman who did not want to be read is – don’t go to one of these shows if you don’t want to be read. You cannot pick and choose which spirit comes through and which ones do not. Theresa is very sincere about what she does, and probably felt a very very strong urge to pass the message.

2. I really liked the post Deborah, you did not let your opinion of Theresa get in the way of the truth. By all accounts you respect what she has done so far with her career. None of us are perfect, yet we should remember what a great honour it is to serve spirit. The more prominent you become, the more people will be ready in waiting to shoot you down. It comes with the territory, if you cannot deal with it, you should not put yourself up there in the first place.

Whether the message is from a loved one or what you believe in, there is no difference, you must give your interpretation and leave it for people to decide, you cannot force someone to listen, or to take every word you say as gospel, or you become no better than a preacher thumping his bible as he gives his sermon. Give the message with love and leave the rest to the powers of the universe.

3. Why was the woman there if she didn’t want a reading? It’s really the assumption if you’re at an event like that, that you are likely to get a reading. Otherwise, what’s the point?

• Hi Caryn, Thank you and all of you for your thoughtful comments. As I replied to Michelle I don’t know that people really understand what it is all about and how deep and personal it can get. When I do my healing circles at my home I ask permission whether or not the person wants the personal information said in front of the group. These are people I have some relationship with and who know each other at least on a superficial level. When you are a vessel for Spirit, as mediums and teachers are privileged to be, we are given some pretty delicate information. I learned the hard way in my own work that you may see more than a person is ready to hear. I always trust the message but have learned there is the human factor and I make room for some discernment. I am careful. Like Theresa I might have tried twice because I would have wanted the person to get the healing. But I know better now than to push further and to continue. Blessings to you.

• ladylolo616 says:

Totally agree!!

• yellowdaizeez says:

I dont think theresa was out of line at all!!!! you go to an event like that knowing that you could be read. obviously the audience members loved one was not giving up on having his message delivered, and was probably interferring with the show. It was the right to get rid of the problematic audience member, as clearly she should never have attended the show. I say good luck and good bye. its not theresas job to make sure you don go off the deep end and hurt yourself!!! she never said she was a licensed therapist. just delivers messages!

4. I have watched her show and I do feel that people then expect her to be completely accurate at all times. In the show you see that she doesn’t really “get” boundaries. Just my two cents. I am a medium and unless it is an emergency, I don’t go up to people I don’t know and start reading them. You learn to dial it down, well at least that is what works for me. Otherwise it is overwhelming and yes, my husband would be angry, if our dinner was interrupted with spirits having me do readings for others eating near us.

So the lady by being there, gave her permission to read her agreed, yet once she stated she wasn’t open to it, she should have just moved on. My guides tell me this from time to time with people, move on. If the person is not hearing you, move on. There are too many people who want and need your help to keep trying to help the one person who doesn’t want it.

At a deeper level, we all know that this must have happened for a reason. Perhaps a producer or one of her guides should have nudged her to move on. Like you said, she is human. Yet, she has a big responsibility to care for each person and their own personal process.

Great article.

• SINCE THERESA HAD’NT GONE THROUGH THIS SITUATION BEFORE, I GUESS, SHE SHOULD CLEARLY STATE AT ANY OR ALL OF HER SHOWS OR READINGS THAT IF ANYONE IS REALLY NOT WANTING A READING OR RECIEVE A MESSAGE THAT IS WHAT SHOULD BE STATED TO AVOID THIS SITUATION.

• Heather says:

I feel the same way about her not getting the boundries. My guy and I are both mediums and we say that every time we see her walk up to people.

5. I was at the show and you broke down the feeling there perfectly! My mom was healed by Teresa there! We drove ten hours for her and had no expectations, then when that girl showed disrespect for Theresa and continued to decline her message from her dad, it mad me very frustrated as I’m sure 3/4 of the audience wanted her healing words! Luckily for us she moved up to top level and although we didn’t have $500 seats we got to meet her and had
    The life changing feeling to hear the words
    She spoke, told mom that her peace starts today! It absolutely did! It was like winning the lottery!

• I am so happy that you got the healing that you needed. We are all human and need to remember that. I was greatly touched when I witnessed your experience. God bless.

6. Clifford Michaels says:

As someone who has studied and trained as a psychic and medium, I have seen many talented people come and go. The best mediums are the ones who have learned to be disciplined in their work and remain impartial from their EGO. After all, the medium is just the vehicle for delivering the message for spirit and not the one that has something to gain or lose from this interaction.
    Clearly, Ms. Caputo believes she is more important than the message of healing that spirit was attempting to share with her audience member. As mediums (readers) we are taught to deliver the message in a loving way and then if there is push back from the “sitter” or the one receiving the information to say, “please just consider what is being shared with you”. Often, within a few days the message may make more sense when the sitter has had time away from others to process the information.

• yellowdaizeez says:

clifford…..who are you???? i have never heard of you! perhaps you need an ego boost?

7. It is obvious to me that the woman didn’t mind being read, just didn’t want to publicly hear from a particular Spirit. I believe in a public setting the medium MUST respect this because there is obviously a reason! Of course, one wants to bring about healing and peace of mind, but judging by what I’ve read it seems her insisting might have been better served in a private session. So, she may have said, “Look, I understand, you don’t wish to hear from him during a public setting but I’d like to set up a private session or time to speak after the event – are you okay with that?” Then move on to the rest of the event.

The fact is, a lot of people paid $$$ to go to the event not to see her try and read someone who might have been better served in a private setting.

It has been my understanding that people typically come in with multiple spirits – so if she didn’t want to hear from one in particular, shift gears and bring through someone else for her. That way you aren’t worried about appearing fraudulent and you aren’t bulling an audience member.

8. After reading this, I have seen this before. Not everyone will agree and not everyone wants to be read especially when wounds are so deep and it is embarrassing to many to be placed on in front of 3000 people. Some things are meant to be private. It may have been her father was coming through to try and resolve things and wanting forgiveness, the women obviously has anger and deep suffering inside. BUT, Theresa should have showed more compassion and instead had her escorted out (she was more concerned about being right and what the crowd thought, then taking the spiritual path and asking the women to see her after the show). Not only does this put Theresa in some ways in a bad limelight, imagine how worse it makes the women feel. Now she probably hates her father even more. Not what was supposed to occur in my opinion. Theresa had a wonderful opportunity, to address to the crowd that not everyone wants to hear from the otherside. She should have apologized to the women and stated that she understands there are some deep emotions and wounds there…but her father is begging for forgiveness and is lingering around wanting her to know, that he is truly sorry. It is up to her to forgive and set him and herself free. Instead Theresa attacked like a dog cornered in a room. Not good. One cannot ever, let ego get in the way of the holy spirit coming through. I am sure Theresa will (hopefully) learn from this and get back on her path. It is amazing how things like this can wake many people up, including Theresa and who knows, perhaps this women who was escorted out may now seek help for her issues inside her, and perhaps she may even begin to open up to her father in other ways now that she was pushed to such an embarrassing situation. We have no way of knowing ones true path and cannot fully see the true purpose of such an event. The one thing we have to be careful of is how quickly the crowd turned to Theresa side. I have seen this happen in so many cases just because of celebrity status. I guarantee you, if no one knew who Theresa was and they all came to see this women, there would have been those in the crowd who would have stood up and said this is wrong, but studies show that crowds tend to go with the flow instead of speaking what is truly inside.

• Thank you Chris for your very thoughtful reply. Blessings, Deborah

• Craig Haynes says:

It’s easy in hind site to come up with the right response,you yourself said you were caught up in the moment. It was a show & now afterwards I agree with you but in that small amount of time she went overboard,I am sure SHE was caught up in the moment as much as you were,I don’t agree to kick her out of the show & your right,the lady was hurt more than helped but were all human & not perfect.

• Chris is EXACTLY spot on and I know Chris to be compassionate about the feelings of others. BUT, he also knows my position about frauds and Theresa (IMO) is a complete fraud and her actions prove my point! Her concern is your money ($500 – laughable) and NOT to be embarrassed.

There is NO proof she is speaking to the deceased and in addition Caputo is no more than a very good cold reader. He dress and shoes are only distractions – a feel good moment for conversation. People like her shoes and therefore like her.

If you want closure (most of us do seek), have faith and trust “your” faith. You do not need an overpaid actress to give you peace and hope by telling you fables.

Ron

• vswofford says:

From my understanding Teresa does not choose which spirit will come through. If the woman did not want to be read she should not have showed up for the . That is plain and simple. You people who are so negitive really need to think about what you write before posting it.

9. Anonymous says:

I feel it is just as insensitive to assume that Theresa asked someone to leave to make sure she wasn’t proven wrong or whatever it is your believe. I think if you have reservations about what can be evoked during a large group session like that- don’t go. As Theresa says and as is clear in most Mediums that I’ve seen or heard about, it is not what you WANT to hear but what you need to hear. I’m not speaking from experience- I’ve never actually been read and I’ve never experienced spirit communicating through me as I am not a medium but from what I understand- if a spirit is intent on getting their message through, she may have felt it important enough that she at least try. I don’t believe she should be blamed for trying- and if the woman was bringing negative energy in to the experience…. I think it’s fair that she be asked to leave. It sounds like the woman lost her cool before Theresa did.

• It is obvious that you have at least watched Long Island Medium because you re quoting “as Theresa says…it is not what you WANT to hear but what you need to hear. However, this was really over the top in my opinion. I don’t think Theresa needs my sensitivity I have merely shared my observation from my experience really as an audience member. The push back was fine and even if the woman lost her cool, it didn’t need to be escalated in the way that it was. Theresa was the one in charge and had the power to turn it into something positive. The audience member is assuming a certain risk by attending, however there are rules in any situation when a person is viewed as having greater knowledge, gifts or power. The audience members are highly vulnerable. My main point is that she does not really know how vulnerable that is. It is a sacred trust that must be handled with an element of care. An experienced medium, especially someone who has such a big following should know how to handle negative energy. You definitely don’t fuel it. I believe the best way is to stand in your light and your faith and to send love. But this is me. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment.

• I believe that there is a very important factor being overlooked. Theresa, just like all of us are learning lessons everyday. I was not there in Boston, however it is clear that there are lessons being learned all around. The woman, audience,Theresa and everyone reading these posts are learning. Lucky for us, we do not have to do this in front of an audience. I cannot even imagine having to be so exposed. Asked for or not, it must be incredibly difficult. I am sure that all involved have taken something from the experience. After all, that is what life is all about. Making mistakes, learning from them and moving on.

10. Thank you Deborah for this article. I did not attend in Boston, but I feel it was very well written.
    I agree with Chris about the situation.
    In my work, I brief people on the fact that they may or may not hear from who they may expect. Sometimes this is the case. However, I’m sure that Theresa did a briefing to the audience before starting..yes?
    I do ask people however if they want to know everything, but as it turns out, they think they do until they hear the reading. I don’t think people that some people expect the “reality” of it, especially when they see you on television.
    Anyway, I really have to say again how valuable this article is to me coupled with all the comments. It’s a continued learning experience in my spiritual journey, and it reminds me that these types of things in public readings are certainly possible – as we are dealing with many different personalities.

• Hi Collette,
      I am so happy to have started a meaningful dialogue,especially with other practitioners. I honor the celebrity psychics who are willing and have the courage to stand in front of great crowds to do this work. I also feel it is our duty as light workers to sometimes call each other out so we can avoid the pitfalls of the path. I want nothing more than for Theresa and others to stay balanced and in the light. The EGO as what I like to call the seven lessons of soul-odyssey can bring down the greatest of masters. Theresa Caputo appeals to people who may never have thought to seek counsel from a Medium. She is well loved. I saw blessings. However, she is not immune to the pitfalls of fame. People are looking for answers and ultimately we need to Guide them back to source and to the Divine Spark that is within themselves. Thank you for your comment. Love and Light, Deborah

• When people agree with you Deborah, I note they are deemed “thoughtful”. You have spent considerable time dissecting this moment, even broadcasting the fact that Theresa Caputo fell short. Conducting a condescending character assassination on the internet is the worst form of falling short imaginable. Take care of everyone’s reputation, including your own. Read Freud, Jung and a few post Jungians to arrive at a broader understanding of the ego. The “pitfalls of fame?” really? If you have not had the experience of fame what places you in the position of critiquing it? Unless you have a lived understanding of what it means to be famous how would you ever know what it means to be balanced when famous? If you were really concerned you might have written Caputo a letter-that is the respectful thing to do. Man, set up a blog and we all think our opinions are so precious and thoughtful.

11. As a professional medium myself and a person who teaches standards in mediumship. It is an unfortunate circumstance of the (ego, Edging God Out) when we forget that we are not the ones who are at the forefront. we have a responsibility as mediums in how we deliver our message and to have the gift of discernment to know if indeed the message is being received. Very often, individuals who are developing are not ready to stand in front of crowds because the medium or trainee has yet to learn the delivery skills and the lessons of responsibility. Mediumship is a divine gift and not something that should be cavorted in front of thousands without understanding the realities of the gift you have and how you would use it.

12. I think the woman said it all. “It would take many lifetimes to make it up to her” She is still hurt. What I wonder is did she just say this is bull…. and that was Theresa’s breaking point or was the lady fussing, being disruptive and that is why she was removed. A simple, this is b.s seems petty. Regardless, theresa should have gracefully bowed out and moved on. But I can also see if someone is being beyond rude and disruptive while others are trying to connect. Amazing so many mediums posted, you are truly blessed and I can tell you all know that along with respect God’s gift.

• I have been active in the psychic world for some time and know many mediums and clairvoyants. I am not a medium myself but a palmist and tarot reader. I know that many, many spiritualist mediums are sincere and gifted people but I do have to say that rather a lot aren’t. They are good at what they do but they are no more psychic than my left toenail. Many of them are outright frauds who use trickery to raise false hopes in the bereaved.

Alas the tricksters are usually to be found among the celebrity TV mediums. I haven’t seen a single one who is genuine and that includes the one we are talking about. They get things right but they also get things wrong. The audience focuses on the things they get right and forget the things they get wrong. And since they get so many things wrong they always have “outs” to get over the problem. They are experts at changing tactics very quickly when someone says “no”. It is their job and they are very good at it.

That is not to say that all mediums are fakers. Most I have met are very sincere people who do good work. Alas these do not include the television mediums whose trickery is very obvious to a trained eye who knows what is going on.

I personally feel that those who have passed on should be allowed to rest in peace. I am not sure it is a healthy thing to disturb them. When I do psychic readings I sometimes feel their presence but I just don’t want to communicate with them. I don’t think I can anyway but even if I could I wouldn’t want to. I do accept that some people get comfort from them and I respect that.

At any rate it is important to be able to distinguish between false hope and the genuine thing. At any rate I agree that Theresa should not have lost her temper. She should have moved on to someone else very quickly as all mediums, fake or otherwise do.

• Leblaque says:

What evidence do you have to support your belief Theresa is a fake? Several shows you’ve seen that you can point to incidents of fraud or is this just your typical overarching skepticism that has no real basis in observation where consensus could be reached…. Please enlighten us.

• prtyfdup says:

Souls who have passed search for people to connect them to a loved one or help them to pass over. If you believe you do, if you don’t you don’t, it’s that simple. Don’t get a reading or go to appearances or watch the program. I know these happen because I have experienced them.

• Mr. Lucky says:

Mark, with all due respect, you are not well versed on this subject, and you have multiple erroneous ideas. Look deeper………knowledge is your friend.

13. I was also at the show last Friday night. That incident was a sour note on the evening. The woman was obviously a little intoxicated to begin with, also the pain of what her father did to her was obvious from her body language to her response to Teresa. I 100% agreee with you that it should have been handled more professionally.

• I was there too. While I agree that Theresa could have kept her cool she did not actually have the woman removed . Theresa had moved on and was in the balcony reading a young woman hearing from her father when the woman who had been upset earlier got irritated again, stood up and was ultimately escorted out. It did not appear to me that Theresa even knew what was happening until the audience started to cheer. I also don’t necessarily agree that it was a mob mentality. I felt, and I’m sure I was not alone, that she was being given a gift that any one of the other 2,999 of us would have cherished receiving. I hope that she did let it sink in later and that she got some healing from it.

• I think it was handled professionally enough. If I tended to get as nervous as Theresa when I’m surrounded by dead people, I probably would’ve shouted right back and punched her in the face. Now THAT would’ve been unprofessional, lol, not having her escorted out. Theresa shouldn’t have to see her face there in the audience and ruin the rest of her night. She had to get that negative energy OUT of there before it affected the rest of her readings.

• ladylolo616 says:

Maybe she shouldn’t have gone..

14. Most of our clients do not believe in our EVP sessions. But we ask people to be opened minded. Most are very curious and come out a ‘believer’ after a session.

But we have experienced a few no matter what they hear in the evp session, they just can’t break through their belief systems. We have been laugh at and have felt very disrespected after working so hard, for many long years on our craft. It can be hard on the pioneering the soul. We tell the firm skeptics we would prefer them not have a session

We love and support Long Island Medium Theresa Caputo. But when you put yourself out there you got to keep jumping those hurdles. You may fall and sprain an ankle, but get up, learn the lesson and keep running.

15. arlene johnson says:

I was also at the show on the 12th…We lost my husband 18 months ago to suicide and I am still having a hard time. April 12 was also my birthday, so my daughter surprised me with Theresa’s show. I remember thinking ‘why did that woman buy such expensive seats–right up front– when she showed no desire to interact with Theresa at all.’….And my daughter & I would look at each other and say “she doesn’t get it”–As Theresa DID go back again & again…. But when I think back now, maybe it was not her father that she wished to ‘hear; from. Her body language showed a defensive mode as she backed deeper into her chair–as soon as Theresa said the words – ‘her father’. And when Theresa suggested that maybe a part of her soul was dark from her dad–she replied , “No, all of it was dark or( black ???) from her father” I think maybe there was too much pain to address in public. But I was also surprised when Theresa told her to leave.

But I had a more personal issue that troubled me that night…..after the show, my daughter, Kerry and I purchased items downstairs and then left the buidling…The line to the parking garage was so long that we turned to the opposite direction to.look for a place to get a bite to eat. A couple corners later… we found a sub-pizza shop and stayed there about 30 minutes. When we left the shop and crossed the street, there were two buses waiting beside a plain back door. I didn’t think the side of this building was even part of the Wang Center…But then Theresa came out of the door— There were about 7 people-waiting…. asking her to sign photo’s and such…..and taking their ‘own’ photo’s with her. We thought, wow, maybe this is meant to be….. we couldn’t even pass by (if we wanted to…)as the line of these people ( went across the sidewalk)…to her open bus door, where 3 security guards stood waiting. Then the security guard closest to us, put us in front of him and called out to the other guard( behind Theresa), saying we were next…..to tell her….Then Theresa stepped towards the bus and turned around to face me–(my daughter was behind me)……As she turned towards me–she had started to extend her hand and opened her mouth to greet me—-she looked me in the eye then she aruptly put her hand back to her side– turned away from me and quickly stepped onto her bus ! The security guards looked at each other, puzzled. We were very dissapointed, being so close by chance and then nothing. But more than that, since then,it has constantly nagged at me….did she see something bad or dark around me ? Is my husband still in a bad place…he was a gentle loving man, but suffered so after a car accident a few years ago….Does my husband need my help ? My daughter said maybe she was tired after a ‘trying’ show…..I don’t know…but it doesn’t make sense to me….the ‘arruptness’ and change of her manner. We went there for healing and are now troubled as our imaginations run wild.. It’s not even about theresa or her show….I need to find out if there is “something” I should know…..

• Deborah says:

Hi Arlene,
      So sorry it has taken so long for me to reply. I had back surgery and am just getting back to my blog. I really don’t believe this had anything to do with you or your father. For all we know she might have had someone telling her to move ahead because she was behind schedule. I know if my husband if anxious to leave a place, for example, I can feel it and I will behave accordingly. It was along show and she also may have simply been tired. There has to be a cutoff at some point. Please do not allow this to add to your pain and to your sense of loss. My personal belief is that people who take their own lives are guided to a place where they can reflect on the pain they experienced and can be taught new ways of coping just like spiritual therapy. I do believe that they have another chance at life when they are ready and are shown love and caring on the other side. I had a friend who took her life while I was out of town. One of my nurses after my surgery said that she knew her for over 20 years and that there was nothing anyone could have done. In fact we all probably prolonged her life because we had an informal spiritual circle and potluck dinners where she felt welcome. We were all working on our own healing together. I was devastated when I heard the news but I was out of town so wouldn’t have been there for her anyway. I remember feeling her presence strongly when I returned. It was a very confusing and disturbing energy. My sister, who is also a medium in Columbus Ohio, worked with me to visualize her and to ask her to move on to the light. We both had a simultaneous vision of her being greeted by some kind of loved one and received simultaneous Angel chills. She had been afraid to go because she knew that she had taken her own life and people believe that it is an unforgivable decision. The God I believe in loves all of his children, even those who can’t cope and who don’t love themselves. We as humans judge them or are afraid for them. My sister and I saw this friend walk away with a loved one and she turned back and smiled. We know that she will do a life review and will work on the pain she experienced in this life until she is ready to move on. But she was loved and I know your husband is too. So please do not read into anything and simply pray that your husband finds his way into God’s loving arms although he is there already and that he finds the peace and health he did not find on Earth. May you be blessed with solace and love. Deborah

16. Lisa Cooper says:

I was also at this show along with my two sisters. We had the unlucky privilege of sitting in back of this obnoxious woman. She was DRUNK!! And very disrespectful to Theresa and the audience. This woman continued to talk ..not whisper but talk throughout the show. It was very distracting!! Do not make any excuses for this woman. She ruined the experience for the people who sat near her. Not only did it send Theresa to the upper balcony never to come back to our area… She was not interested in the show or Theresa and kept talking to her friend . She even told Theresa that she was there for her friend and did not believe or care what Theresa had to say… So why would she stand up and and talk to Theresa???? Theresa was reading the woman behind this obnoxious woman…the obnoxious woman stood up and and joined in. Theresa said is was a ” piggy back” reading… More then one spirit coming through. The original woman being read was happy and satisfied. The obnoxious woman was not happy at all. I had a front row to this spectacle …it was horrible. Theresa did nothing wrong…Theresa tried to talk to this woman and the woman was just nasty and disrespectful. She ruined the night for many of us. Even her friend was horrified..which is sad..she was also drunk!! Again because I was sitting right in back of her I heard the obnoxious woman say to her friend ..” If you think I made a scene coming in wait til I leave” …As she was getting up to leave she hit an audience member in her row for NO reason!!! Then security was called for a second time to escort her out and this time they did !!! If Theresa fell short it was due to this obnoxious drunken woman!

17. I *love* this show. That said, it is clear to me that Theresa is *very* human and that’s part of her ‘charm’.

I am a firm believer in planting seeds–that once someone hears something they can’t unhear it. So, it’s good that the woman heard the message even if she wasn’t in a place to take it in. That’s okay.

I agree, Theresa probably should have taken a hint and let it go. I think she probably feels she is passing on something positive so she doesn’t understand the resistance. Who knows, maybe she was having an off night. Or maybe spirit was badgering her something fierce. Or maybe this was just an example of ‘drama’ intentionally added to the show to give everyone an interesting story, as so often happens in ‘reality’ tv.

18. I don’t think Theresa needed validation and let her ego get in the way. Theresa can see what we can’t. She knows what is going on with the person whose message she is delivering. She probably sensed his angst and wanted to ease his pain and get the message across. But that woman, who HAD to have known she would be read by Theresa due to non-closure, sounded like she was completely out of line. And it doesn’t sound like she was a non-believer, and therefore upset Theresa. It sounds to me like she knew very much that her Dad was there, but hates him for some reason or another. She let that anger cause her to lash out at Theresa, who tends to be very nervous when surrounded by spirits like that, and did not need that at all. She was cursing and out of line, and I think she was very within her rights to make that woman leave. She shouldn’t have been there in the first place.

19. I would really love the chance to get a reading from a true medium. I absolutely believe, but find it very difficult to find one that is real. Probably word of mouth is the best way, and I’ve sent a request to Theresa, but I guess there’s a 3 year waiting list. Can anyone give me a recommendation?
    Blessings, Kat

20. I have my doubts about her authenticity.

21. vanesssa romero says:

Wow, all I have to say is that Teresa is great ( :

22. smithtownny says:

I just found this article and its very interesting to me. I have a mother who is often stopped in public by physics or empaths saying she has a wonderful positive energy. Which she does. And when a child interferred with the expression of her chi, she bounced them off a wall and continued on with her day boundlessly.

People read her energy as very positive. Which it is. But positive can also be explosive or agressive. I listened for years to the stream of encouragement my mother received about her energy knowing full well what is was like to be behind closed doors with her.

I love Theresa Caputo and I watch her show. But in the future, if my Mom were to pass? and Theresa were to delivered a message to me from my mom? (whom I have already forgiven btw, but with lesson learned) I would not take it as great gospel or a great lesson. Just a message from my Mom, who didn’t become any wiser by her passing.

23. Michelle says:

Teresa should of said, ok, and walked away. That’s all. You can’t keep on pushing someone like that, and then to have her escorted out, and the fact that 2,999 people supported her. I mean? I don’t expect that the audience should of shunned her, but damn, just stay out of it. Talk about idolization.

24. Me gustaria saber si me ayudarias a sabet todo lo que mi madre quiera transmitir soy colombiano su ayuda seramuy bn recibida mil graciad y mil bendiciones para usted y los suyos

25. Grace Moss says:

I was not there but maybe Theresa felt the resulting negative energy was blocking spirit.

26. After reading all the comments I still STRONGLY believe if you do not want to be read or not ready to hear from someone who has passed then DONT GO !!! plain and simple…

27. Talia Reynolds says:

She was at the reading she should have had more class and respect for Theresa, what a rude person!

28. Deborah, I have a question after reading this. Yes, Theresa is for sure a strong personality, but does Spirit ever affect a medium’s personality when they are reading someone? I’ve always wondered this and your article made me think about it again.

In this case, perhaps the father was not a nice person. Could Theresa’s aggression have come from him? Would love to hear your opinion, and that of other mediums who have responded, on this question. Thank you!

29. Some folks in the audience are so desperate to hear a mere familiarity of their loved one, may make them lose their better judgement of the hype this woman creates. Theresa is nothing but a con woman.

30. In a John Edward reading at a public forum, my partner was read. He said some extremely insulting things about her mother who had passed. She asked him to stop and he insisted on delivering the mesage regardless. The whole family agreed that his illustration of their mother was inaccurate but all agreed that it applied in spades to gheir grandmother. At a reading, sometimes you can just sit back and absorb it without commenting and reflect later. My partner got a lot of valid information and the mesages received were passed on to her terminally ill sister who died two weeks later. Before her passing she said those messages – even the negative ones- settled her.mind and made her unafraid. Sometimes the message might be hard to hear but we need to deliver it on to someone else. I like Theresa’s style. I am actualy more suspicious of mediums who claim to be able to turn it off. As someone with these gifts (although not a practicing medium) I don’t think it is something you turn on and off. I see someone mentioned the upset audience member was intoxicated. An important part of the story.

31. I live in Australia and didn’t see the show you refer too but I have watched many shows of Theresa and I am truly impressed by her and her genuine abilities. Having read your opinion of the show I just feel the need to remind you that we are all human including Theresa and perhaps having time to reflect, just as you have admitted to Deborah, Theresa may have done things differently. We all need to appreciate that the spirit itself may have been the one influencing Theresa and her apparent urgency and insistence. I just hope and pray that Theresa will come to Australia and share her abilities with us because I would definitely pay to see her. Go Theresa you are wonderful xxx

32. What’s wrong with your readers? Why would you humiliate anyone in front of 3000 people and have your fans cheer it on? I don’t care if they think the woman shouldn’t have been there. That’s just mean-spirited and wrong.

33. I wish i could be part of Theresa’s readings. I love what she does and it gives me hope that oneday i might be the lucky one to get her readings even though im in South Africa

34. Please talk to my Grandpa he died right Before i was born and I’m ten my birthday I’d June 18 I Really want to see him I miss him I never saw him. And no matter what I love him

35. Dr. James L. Pendergast has written a new expose book on Caputo called “The Theresa Caputo Diaries”, available here: http://www.theresacaputofake.com

36. get ahold of me i need to know

37. Pawnroto says:

I can only hope that you all realize that James Randi offers $1,000,000 to anyone who can prove that they have psychic abilities. Naturally, individuals with your “abilities” should be very willing to not only prove that they are for real; but also to receive some serious cash. Both rewards should be quite gratifying. What’s that? You don’t need the money? I’m sure you would be fine with just proving your legitimacy. Now go, enlighten us.

38. Linda Shields says:

Being a Medium and Psychic myself I agree with your post. There are times we need to use extreme tact and no when to back away and “let it be”. It has always bothered me some that she approaches strangers and starts to deliver messages. It’s wonderful that she can do this but does she ever stop to think that maybe someone may not want this to happen, maybe they are a private type of person? I have seen her “push” to do a reading on someone and it doesn’t seem right to me. I am not judging, but just voicing my opinion about how it makes me feel. Like the poster Genine says: Body language says a lot. For those of us in this profession I think we always need to take into account whether we are “pushing” past a place of privacy.

39. is it possible to have a reading donew via web

40. I think it is interesting that this conversation has jumped to healing. I do readings for people, but can only tell them what I get which is not always what they want to hear. I read for people with the hope that they will find healing in what I tell them, but that is up to them. I have given a reading to someone who didn’t like what I said, so I also suggested it was best not to continue the reading and didn’t charge her. That said Theresa doesn’t say she is a healer, she says she is a medium that speaks to dead people. I have been compelled to speak to people by dead loved ones although I don’t make a practice of it and only when they won’t go away and the message seems vital. All this to say, I don’t think she is violating a spiritual rule – by attending she gave Theresa permission to give her a reading. She could have walked out at anytime. Even the people Theresa reads for when she walks up to them could leave, but they don’t. Theresa believes that by their loved ones’ spirits coming forward to her she has permission to talk to them and most people are receptive. This isn’t the same as walking up to someone on the street and performing reiki. I’m not as aggressive as she is, but I don’t judge her or her gift. Many people have found peace and healing and that is what is important. I think you should consider a less condemning view.

41. I think that the lady should’nt have been there knowing that there was a chance she could’ve been read. Theresa may have came off as egotistical and rude but I think that when the spirit wants to say something they will push and shove through to make sure they’re heard. You can’t just get a message from a loved one whenever you please. I believe that you have to be at the right place at the right time, like fate. I think Theresa was just trying to get the woman to understand that her dad wanted to reach out to her because she knows that it will be very unlikely that he will be able to reach out to her like that again. It wasn’t the right way to handle it but she was blessed with this gift and overall I think she has really good intentions.

42. Teresa is human like all of us and I’m sure she has those ” hindsight us 20/20″ moments too. I also agree this person should not have attended knowing what happened….was a possibility . I think after all the years Teresa has been doing this, which is most her life, she supports spirit’s message needing to be delivered and may have been in the moment .

43. Mr. Lucky says:

When doing a group reading, always begin with this statement: “Anyone who does not want to be read, let me know.”
    This simple statement saves confusion and heartache. When a medium behaves in the way mentioned in this article, it is always about ego.

44. I’m skeptical of mediums, in my opinion, it’s a huge money making racket.
    I believe Theresa Caputo is not psychic and does not talk to the dead, I know this because someone I’m connected to, ran into her and the “reading” was totally off, it was more like fishing and probing for information, then watch for the reaction.
    If mediums are real, prove it, tell me something, only I could know about someone departed.
    My opinion again, there will be no reply.

45. She knew what was going on at this event & if she wasn’t ready and willing to receive a message she shouldn’t have gone!

46. Matt Hooper says:

You poor dingbats. People do not talk to the dead. You imbeciles are such easy prey. Wake the hell up and stop the nonsense. These frauds are driving Mercedes Benz laughing their asses off at you.

47. Is it possible that the spirit wouldn’t leave Theresa alone until the lady received the message? Maybe Theresa is not as controlled when she allows spirits to come at her head on. If there was trauma in that ladies life, and it had to do with her father, I could imagine he would be stubborn and loud by nature. Maybe he wouldn’t let Theresa go away, and so she became angry because of this but could not shut him out without shutting every other spirit out.

48. Chloe Marien says:

I understand everyone’s feedback and agree that being pushed about something so sensitive as the passing of a loved one is inappropriate UNLESS you are at a Spiritual Reading being performed by a famous MEDIUM. This woman had no business being there, sceptic or not. Totally ridiculous was her behavior, not Theresas. DONT go to a reading if your plan is to prove the medium wrong. Seriously?

This is a carbon-neutral site powered by 100% clean, renewable energy. Site design and hosting by GreenDreamWeb.